Atlanta immigration lawyer

Attorney Zeb Ogueri


Ouch! There was a server error.
Retry »

Sending message...

Applying for Refugee Status

Georgia immigration Attorneys

Under US immigration laws, you can apply for a refugee status if you have been persecuted or you fear that you will be persecuted on the basis of your religion, race, political opinion, nationality or social group. Consult with an experiencedUSimmigration lawyer to know if you qualify for refugee status under US immigration laws.

One of the main requirements for a refugee status is that you should be outside theUnited States. If you are already in theUSeither legally or illegally, you can apply for asylum. You must be unwilling to return to your home country because returning to your home country will result in serious harm and danger to your life and freedom. To be eligible to apply for refugee status, you must be of special humanitarian concern to theUnited States. You must not be on the list of persons who are banned from entering theUnited Statesand you must not be firmly resettled in another country. If you have assisted, incited, ordered or participated in any form of persecution of any person on the basis of religion, race, political opinion, nationality or social group, you will be ineligible to apply for a refugee status. There should be no legal bar on your entry to theUS. An experiencedUSimmigration lawyer can review your case and advise you on your options.

The United States Refugee Admission Program must send you a referral for consideration as a refugee. Once you receive the referral, you must fill up the required forms and submit it to the US Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the place where you are staying. You will be called for an interview. After your interview, the USCIS will take a decision on your application. An experiencedUSimmigration lawyer can help you complete the required forms and also provide you with invaluable advice on the questions you can expect at the interview.

If you receive a referral from the United States Refugee Admission Program, you can include your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age in your application. In some circumstances, you can include other members of your family as well. An experiencedUSimmigration lawyer can advise you on the members of your family who can be included in your application.

If your application for refugee status is allowed, you must undergo a medical examination by a designated civil surgeon. The US Embassy or Consulate where you give your refugee interview will have a list of designated civil surgeons in your area. You will also receive a cultural orientation to help you adjust to life in theUnited States. The US Embassy or Consulate will also assist you with your travel plans and also provide you with financial loan for your travel if you do not have the financial resources to travel to theUS.

If you move to theUSas a refugee, you can bring your family members to theUSby filing a petition on their behalf within two years from the date of your arrival in theUS. An experiencedUSimmigration lawyer can help you file the petition for your family members.