Atlanta immigration lawyer

Attorney Zeb Ogueri


Ouch! There was a server error.
Retry »

Sending message...

Work Permits / Employment Visas

Atlanta Work Permit Lawyer Immigration Employment Authorization Attorney

Types of Work Visas

Atlanta Work Permit Visa Lawyer: A work visa allows a foreign national to live and work in the United States. There are a variety of such work visas. Some of these visas are issued for a specific period of time, usually for the performance of specific jobs. 

The H1B is perhaps the most popular of all work visas. To be eligible for a H1B visa, you must have college or post graduate education. You must have a job offer from a US company and the US company must sponsor your visa.

To be eligible for a L1 visa, you must be employed in a country other than the US as person with specialized knowledge or a manager or executive for at least one year in the last three years and your employer must transfer you to the US to work in a similar position. The company in the United States to which you are transferred must be a joint venture partner, affiliate, subsidiary or branch of your foreign employer.

Under the J1 visa program, US educational institutions and organizations can sponsor persons as exchange visitors for working, studying or participating in the specific exchange programs for which the visa has been approved. Canadian and Mexican nationals can qualify for the TN visa which allows them to work in the United States. To be eligible, you must have at least a bachelor’s degree or appropriate professional credentials and work in qualified fields, as defined in NAFTA. Mexican nationals must apply for a TN visa through the US Embassy/Consulate while Canadians can apply for a TN visa at the port of entry.  Atlanta work visa lawyer

There is an annual cap on the number of immigrant work visas. There are four categories of such visas, each with its own annual cap. To qualify for an employment based immigrant visa, you must be one of the following:

  • A person of extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, athletics or business
  • Outstanding professor and researcher with at least three years research or teaching experience, who are internationally known.
  • Executive and manager who has been employed for at least one of the last three years by the overseas branch, subsidiary, affiliate or parent of the U.S. employer
  • Professional with Advanced Degrees, or Persons having Exceptional Ability in Business, Science or the Arts
  • Skilled Worker capable of being employed in a job that requires a minimum of two years experience or training
  • Professional Holding Baccalaureate Degrees – members of a profession having a bachelor’s degree from an university
  • Other Workers who can fill jobs that require less than two years experience or training
  • Religious worker entering the US to engage in the vocation of a minister of religion, or to be professionally employed in a religious vocation, or to be employed with a tax-exempt organization that is affiliated with a religious denomination;
  • Certain overseas employee of the U.S. Government;
  • Former employee of the Panama Canal Company;
  • Retired employee of international organizations;
  • Dependent of certain international organization employees; and
  • Member of the U.S. Armed Forces.

The US immigration laws provide for the issue for certain types of work visas. However each of these has stringent eligibility criteria. An experienced US immigration lawyer can study your case and inform you the type of work visa you qualify for. Applying for the incorrect type of visa can result in your application being rejected. Call the Atlanta work visa lawyer at Zeb Immigraion Lawyer today.